P.I.B. ...painted #2

I think today's attempt was better. Even though I didn't want to spend more than an hour, I tried to give a bit better indication of a background/environment. I also tried to choose light/dark local colours for Mr. In Boots that would help him stand out in general and also set him apart from his outfit. I still can't seem to get away from a final overall colour tweak, but didn't use it as much as I sometimes do. I used softer brushes and tried to make the lightest place in the painting his face to draw attention to it.

I was thinking yesterday how strange it is that it's easier for us to quickly communicate visually with line drawings rather than light and shadow shadow paintings, considering lines don't exist when we look at things in real life.

Comments

Mish said…
really great Sarah! i really like the colors in this one.
Kevin Cromwell said…
This one is really good too. I like the lighter body, it helps form those invisible lines you were talking about. The background really adds a lot too.

Great job.

:)=
Depa said…
bel giob...ispirata a fernandez?nn so com'รจ in inglese sta frasazza
Anonymous said…
The darker hat and red coat really make this one jump out. And the slight indication of the Tuscan Hills behind him adds a lot. Overall, the varried tones give this piece a more dynamic feel than the one yesterday.

PS John K. (of Ren and Stimpy fame)has some been going on some great rants about color and composition as of late. Check them out here:

http://johnkstuff.blogspot.com/
pascal said…
getting better and better...
iF i had time to philosophise, I'd really give you my five bucks worth of that theory about line versus color for communication.. but I can't!

buut it;s a really good topic on which Chuck Jones touches a bit on in his book!
Anonymous said…
Looks great....I like the greater contrast between PIB's fur and his jacket. My favorite touch is still the huge hat feather, though. It adds just the right amount of whimsey to a scene that might be read more seriously than it should (well, for a cat wearing human clothing, that is).
Mark Behm said…
I think this is much stronger.
Alex Fleisig said…
awesome sarah. beautiful colors.
Unknown said…
Both version are good, but I love this version more! Beautiful mood!
Vanhoozerbot said…
Very nice.
It FEELS like a warm, dusty field at sunset.

What is the story here?
Is he facing some worthy opponent?
Maybe staring down a hairball?
Writing his name in the air with his sword?

Great style here.

Jeremy
Tami Traylor said…
Sarah, I love your style. I think this is much stronger than the last one - the muted background really grounds PIB and his fur color, although rather neutral, provides an active contrast against his coat and hat. I can't wait to see the one for Thursday!
Alexiev said…
Good Sarah...

Very good image... Colours and steel...