Writing Group Sketches Galore









The way writing group works is thirty or so people listen to someone read part of a story or novel and then offer critique. I tend to sketch while I listen, jotting my critiques at the top of the page so I don't forget them. Each session is about two and a half hours long with various people reading, so I end up filling lots of pages with doodles. Here are some of the pages from last night. The first two pages and the last page show a little of my thought process when working on a character design.

I wanted to post this when I got home, but we hadn't eaten dinner yet and were hungry... and then it was midnight.

I'm hoping to bring my graphic novel to the writing group for critique, but it's going to be a challenge. The entire critique hinges on the authors reading their story aloud, and well, I'm not sure how to 'read' a graphic novel to people :)

Comments

Marco Bucci said…
Nice sketches again. They feel solid, and anatomically accurate. Good character too! And thanks for the DG update. I think I did get the e-mail, but may have tossed it out by mistake (I just got Greg's reminder yesterday). I'm determined to submit stuff for this round; the topic is too good to pass up!
S.T. Lewis said…
Some really great sketches in here. I love seeing sketchbook pages... it's interesting to see what people draw when they don't have anything they need to draw. Great post.
mike said…
hey fun! it's neat to see some of your sketchy thought process. :)

writing group sounds fun! maybe you can act out your story to them!

and i got your email! i owe you a reply. i've just been so busy here and there lately. and today i got caught up coloring a caveman.
pascal said…
AHAHHSo many sketches!

these are fun!
Mark Behm said…
Cool stuff, Sarah. Can you do a Slideshow while you read?
Tanja said…
Yeah, like he said. :) Bring your laptop and show a page or panel at a time maybe. Powerpoint or whatever.
paul bowman said…
All the variations — great blog material.
Dominic Bugatto said…
Nice!

Damn, I don't sketch enough .........
Breadwig said…
Great sketches! Yeah, could you bring a laptop and maybe find a projector somewhere and show your graphic novel panels while you read it?

Boy, I wish I had a writing group now, I miss that.
Unknown said…
oooooooo loads o purty work! When you bring your graphic novel you should have sound effects playin in the background or make them your self at each panel!

Look forward to seeing the seasons painted up and your cave man turned out superb. you rock !!
cristian said…
Great, really nice sketches, I enjoy a lot seeing the first steps of a drawing and the roughs for a design. Your work is always awesome. More, please!!
jim bradshaw said…
I love your thunder lizards. Good luck with the writing group. This is a great blog.
Cristina said…
Awesome characters! Is your writing group part of some organization or something? I`m hoping that there might be a writing group in my city as well. Also, would you mind giving some drawing tips? I really love your art so...